Sunday, October 16, 2011

Civil War Reenactment-Battle Of Franklin

Today I went to a Civl War reenactment of the Battle of Franklin. This battle was originally fought on November 30, 1864 and lasted for about five hours. It took place mostly in the dark and involved hand-to-hand combat, which was unusual as most battles were fought using Napoleonic tactics at this time. Leading the Confederate troops was Lt. General John Bell Hood and leading the Union troops was Maj. General John M. Schofield.




                                                          Marching onto the battle field.





Nearly 10,000 soldiers were killed, missing, and wounded from this particular battle. Most of them were Confederate soldiers. Of the dead, six were Confederate generals. Eleven Union soldiers would receive the Medal of Honor.

                                              The soldier is taking the "dead" soldiers shoes.


I couldn't help but think of my ancestors who lived during this time period and fought in the Civil War.


We went as a family to watch this and the boys liked the horses, and thought the cannons interesting but loud. There were also tents set up to sell goods. One of them gave out tastings of soda. My oldest said his favorite was the sarsaparilla soda. Overall, it was a good outing, educational, and thought provoking.

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures... Thanks for coming out to see us play soldier. We had a great time and I hope that you did too.

    P.S. That is me pulling the shoes off the "Bloated" dead Dakota, The young man had no chance at all as he was gut shot.

    Sterling Carter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting these photos. Just today I ordered my gggrandfather's Civil War service records so this is the perfect post for me to see. Thanks for following my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sterling- Thanks for participating in the battle! We had lots of fun and it was great for my boys to see.

    Nancy-I hope you find some wonderful information on your gg grandfather!

    Thanks to both of you for checking out my blog!!

    ReplyDelete