Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wayward Technology and IGHR Registration

Yesterday was registration for IGHR. It was an unexpectedly stressful experience. On Monday night we had some trouble with our internet and I chalked it up to the storms passing through the area. Tuesday morning arrived and the internet was still going in and out. After a call to our internet provider all seemed to be working okay.

10:00 a.m. CST rolled around and it was time to register for Course 4: Advanced Methodology and Evidence Analysis. I quickly clicked the registration link, filled out all of my information, and clicked "Next" on the last page for registration to be complete. Nothing happened. I clicked "Next" again. And again. The internet had frozen up on me. Cue primal scream of frustration, followed quickly by swearing like a sailor (don't worry the kids were at school), and I grabbed my iPhone. Fortunately I had the foresight of saving the IGHR website on my phone. I once again quickly navigated through the registration process, which by the way was not an easy thing to do on such a small screen. The end result... I made it into Course 4, the time was 10:10 a.m., and I was oddly tired.

Since my internet was useless for research I decided to make some calls. I needed to find out about some church records so my first phone call was to the Hamilton County Baptist Association. A very nice lady was helping me with all sorts of questions, when suddenly the line went dead. I called back apologizing profusely. My next call was to the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Bicentennial Library. I was having a hard time viewing what the Special Collections department had through their website.  My purpose was to find out if they had materials that would make a trip worthwhile. During the phone call both my land line and cell phone were ringing with incoming calls, which incidentally neither rang again for the rest of the day. Classic.

The rest of the day included tornado sirens going off (no tornado appeared), driving through sheets of rain with my pre-schooler (nerve wracking), and a visit from the internet provider at 7:00 p.m. to fix our internet connection. It was just one of those days.

5 comments:

  1. OH, I sadly relate to the techy woes. GROANNNNNN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electronic equipment knows when you REALLY need it and chooses the worst possible time to malfunction. Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! This was the first time we have ever had any trouble with our internet.

      Delete
  3. Cinamon, let me know if you need something from the Chattanooga Library. I live about 5 minutes from there and will be happy to make copies for you, if the library wants to charge you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind. So far they don't seem to have what I'm looking for.

      Delete