Thursday, March 29, 2012

The 1940 Census and YOU

The release of the 1940 census on Monday, April 2 is exciting. Why? For me, I'll be able to see 3 of my 4 grandparents on a census record for the first time. This is pretty cool. The census record will give me a really good snapshot of those families, where they were living, who else was living with them, occupations, ages, etc.

The reality check of course is that one of my grandparents passed away a few years ago. Mary Lou (Brumbaugh) Gunter Kiphart was born 21 April 1931. So seeing her name will be a little sad. I'm not exactly sure where she was living by 1940. In 1930 her parents were living in Ohio, where she was born a year later, and they eventually moved to California. So once the census is fully indexed I'll be able to find out. Which means I'll have to wait a while.

If you are interested in participating as a volunteer to index the 1940 census, then go here. The more people who index the faster it will get completed, which means the faster we can all see our relatives/ancestors. Even if you get only one or two pages done, it's one or two pages that somebody else will not have to do.

So, who are you excited to see in the 1940 census?

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to it. I should be able to see all four of my grandparents in this one; they weren't all around for the last one.

    ReplyDelete