Monday, April 9, 2012

I Completed ProGen. Now What?

 Last week I had my final ProGen chat. All assignments are complete, along with peer reviews, and the readings. For those of you who don't know, ProGen is a 19 month program that focuses on the study of Professional Genealogy: A Manuel for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians edited by Elizabeth Shown Mills. Each month participants complete a reading assignment, a written assignment, and peer review of each other's assignments. It's a great program and I got a lot out of it. I've also made friends with the people in my group and will miss meeting with them once a month.

So what's next? Well, in some ways I'm taking this summer off..... or light. Last summer I was consumed with ProGen assignments, went to IGHR at Samford, and finished the NGS home study course. The summer before that I was immersed in the Boston University's Certificate in Genealogical Research program. This summer, I'm going to IGHR at Samford again. I'm lucky to have gotten into Elizabeth Shown Mills' class, so it will be a busy and intense week. My other summer adventure is attending the National Institute on Genealogical Research (NIGR) in Washington D.C. I'm so excited.

Other things on my "to do" for the summer would be running my kids around to one summer camp or another, taking them to the pool, and for all of us not to drive each other crazy (ha ha). I also need to take control of organizing my house, especially the office (as always). Until then, I'll spend this last month and change of the kids being in school to prep for the two institutes this summer. I have a lot of reading to accomplish before Samford, and a list to make of record look ups while I'm in D.C.

What are your plans for the summer?

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the ProGen Study Program! That is a huge accomplishment. Have fun at IGHR and NIGR this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Cinamon! No longer just the family genealogist, you've become a proper accredited genealogist. I am so impressed with your dedication and devotion to your new trade. And along the way you take time to help newbies like me. Great job, keep up the good work. I look forward to learning more from you. Thank you for sharing your journey. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I hope to someday be officially a certified genealogist. Perhaps my next goal? Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy NIGR - I went last year and learned a great deal! Try to pace yourself, but don't miss the extras on Mon and Tues evening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the extras on Monday and Tuesday night. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. Appreciate you sharing, great article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

    ostarine

    ReplyDelete