Sunday, June 10, 2012

IGHR 2012-Arrival

For over a week I have been in high anticipation mode for IGHR at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. Today I drove down without any problems and check-in was smooth. For those that don't know what the Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research (IGHR) is, it is basically a week long genealogy camp. Genealogists register for one out ten possible courses for the week, attend evening lectures, and talk genealogy shop with fellow genealogists. It's great!

This year I registered for Course 4: Advanced Methodology and Evidence Analysis. The instructor is Elizabeth Shown Mills. She is a leading genealogist in the profession. It's akin to taking a music lesson from say... Billy Joel or Elton John.

After check-in I unloaded my stuff into my dorm room. They have put us in suites this year and the room is pretty nice. Although I must say when I walked into the room, it kind of smells like Cheech and Chong were the previous roomies here. Dorm living is as close as I like to get to camping. I remembered last year the mattress was lumpy and thin, so this year I brought a foam mattress topper. I'm hoping my back will be happier this time around.

Once settled it was off to dinner. I was thrilled to meet new people, along with seeing familiar faces and catching up. Orientation after dinner was brief and then the ProGen group had a meet and greet. Right now all of the attendees are fresh and full of energy. I'm sure by Wednesday some of us will be dragging a little. And if I seem to be a little more relaxed than usual... you can blame the remnant atmosphere that Cheech and Chong left behind in my dorm room.

1 comment:

  1. Of course - the year I am not there and you guys are housed in Hooterville! Have a great week Cinamon!

    ReplyDelete